Let's see...we returned from John and Suzanne's Dec. 28. I still had a week to work on national boards (NB), put away Christmas decor, and clean the house. I also applied for my passport, which I received within 2 weeks! I was able to visit Tracey and Marin New Year's weekend- always a joy.
A few have asked, so let me explain my endeavor. The National Board of Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS) is designed to assess teachers according to a set of standards for teaching excellence. I have to complete four porfolios that include written descriptions, proof, and reflections of these standards. Each portfolio is about 15 pages. I find myself working twice as hard at all aspects of my profession, in order to meet the standards, in order to write about it. Sounds a bit confusing, but I'm a better teacher for going through the process. I'm super busy and exhausted, though. The planning, preparing, and organizing for the teaching part is bad enough. Top it with coming home to type for a couple hours, and then weekends consumed by it. My mentor provides mental support and reviews my work with me. That helps a lot. My school people are very supportive as well, and that helps. My goal is to be done before spring break (mid-March). It has to be mailed by the end of March. Then, when that's over, I have to take a written (computerized) exam for 3 hours. Each part is scored with points. If I don't "pass" this year, I redo my worst parts over next year. Only 40% of the candidates pass their first year. They make us wait until November to notify us. Yuck. Prayers are greatly appreciated, though I hope you put personal, family, and health prayers above professional ones.
Ok, so now that the explaining is over (sorry for the boredom), I was awarded Elementary Teacher of the Year for St. Clair County! Most of you know I arrived at school on January 6 to be handed TOY for my school, and a packet (the application) worth 7 essay questions. I had a week to do them. Greg's dad arrived with my car on Tuesday, the 7th, but I was fairly unaware as I was consumed with typing all week. Again - exhausting, and it took away from my other writing! I felt horrible because I hardly was able to say hi to him! I guess it paid off. My application goes to the district judges, who send winners to the State. I honestly am honored to get this far, and do not wish for it to go any further.
I didn't even drive the car until the weekend, but isn't she a beauty? It's a 2008 Honda Accord Coupe. I feel pretty spoiled to be in such a sporty model, with all the bells and whistles. The heated seats have been very useful as we've had real winter temps all January.
Ok, just one more thing. I'm getting my voice shot Friday, so I'm going to try video chats with the instant message option - me typing, you talking! Sorry I haven't been social since installing it.
3 comments:
Just want to say that I think you're awesome!!!
Thanks for the explanation! I pray that your efforts will be well recognized.
The love, concern and education that you give your students is as deserving of recognition and so our prayers go out that it happens.
Congrats on all of your hard work and recognition so far! Your students are so lucky to have you. You are in our prayers!
Post a Comment